Tuesday, May 1, 2012

One year...and counting

It has been one year and three days since we loaded up my friend's minivan with suitcases, my kids, and my parents and headed to Midway Airport.  It has been one year and three days since my kids ooohhed and ahhhed over the "fancy" hotel Grandma booked for the night before our big trip, trying calamari at dinner.  It has been one year and three days since Wren had a panic attack at the security gate and almost vomitted all over TSA while trying to wave goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa.

One year and three days...

At the beginning of April I had grand plans to mark the one year anniversary of our arrival in Washington by taking the girls to the same restaurant we visited after climbing off the plane...to maybe have a deep conversation about how they were feeling with the move, the things (and people) they missed, the new things they loved...but it just didn't happen.

No one took notice.  The girls played.  The Butcher and I worked in the yard.  We went about our day in total obliviousness to the anniversary - which is probably a much better way to mark such an anniversary.

We are setting roots here.  We have bought a house - that I love and dream of growing old in (I will figure out the stairs, Mom, I promise).  We have set the kids on some great paths for school and they love planning the next steps.  We are getting involved in activities, making friends, setting memories...

Which doesn't mean that we don't have those days when we are so lonely for the people and places we love so much in Michigan.  Ella keeps talking about wanting to get married in Michigan.  Wren, out of the blue, will say, "I miss Sudzy" (her best friend and neighbor in Michigan).  Abby doesn't say much about Michigan, but writes lovely, touching poetry about her friends there.

I'm not quite sure how to end this post.  I just wanted pay homage to one year and three days.

One year and three days...

I'm truly looking forward to the next year and three days...

No comments:

Post a Comment