Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chaos Wins

Sometimes, no matter how you look at the chaos and try your hardest to see the best parts of the day, relishing the small moments, chaos wins...

That was yesterday.

The start of the school year has not been easy for me and Wren.  She is lost and lonely without her sisters around (even to fight with) and she is constantly asking me to play or to have a friend over.  She is obsessed with "what's after this sleep" - meaning what are we doing tomorrow.  And on the days when there is nothing planned for after this sleep... (sigh).

I work from home.  My desk is the kitchen counter.  While I like the flexibility, I still need to try to get in my hours.  It's so hard to explain this to a 3 year old.

So yesterday, after packing lunches, fretting about some bills, cleaning up a bottom-of-the-bag Mini Wheats spill, starting some laundry, cleaning the dishes, and sitting down to work, I was a bit frazzled when she pulled up the stool next to me, laid her head in my lap and said, "I wish you didn't have to work, Mommy."

Crushing...

It's not the first time I've heard this from her.  Actually, it's not the first time I've heard it from any of my girls.  But it still gets me.

So I explained why I have to work and tried to get her doing something else, asking her to get dressed for the day.  And then there were tears over what to wear.

The morning went pretty much the same.  Eventually I did get her friend to come play, which did help a bit.

Then my dad showed up in the driveway to pick some things up.

And as he was leaving, he hugged me.  What is it about a daddy's hug that can just undo a daughter sometimes?

But I needed it.  Thanks, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment