Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Table for Two


This week, John and I celebrated 14 years of marriage.  Doesn't that sound like a lot?  I mean, I still feel like I'm only 22.

And with the way the economy has been, we agreed on forgoing the gift-giving, opting instead for our usual Tuesday night frozen pizza (I work late on Tuesdays teaching ballet).  But the day before our anniversary, he hinted that there was a gift for me... "in the evening."  (And don't we all tend to think men mean only one thing when they say something like that?)

When I arrived home, there was a large sign on the door into the house from the garage.  "Please enter through the front door.  Thank you."

The drapes to the front of the house had been drawn, but I didn't think much about this as my parents had been watching the kids and that's something they would do as it began to get dark.

So I was totally surprised when I opened the front door to find a table for two in our living room, covered in my favorite table cloth from France, awash in candlelight.  Abby, our oldest, stood at the door with a linen napkin over her arm and said, "Your table is ready," gesturing to the table where my husband sat, dressed neatly.

As I sat down, Ella walked in carrying a bottle of wine with the obligatory napkin over her arm.  "Would you care for some wine?  It's an excellent vantage," she said.  John and I hid our giggles as he poured us both a glass of wine.

Shortly, Abby came pack carrying a plate of frozen pizza slices for me and then returned with one for John.

And so we dined by candlelight in our living room on frozen pizza with the girls all giggling around the corner about our "date."

It was the most beautiful date I've ever been on.

"Waitress Wren" brought out the dessert... 6 Oreos on a plate.

I couldn't have been happier.

1 comment: